Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Many Portrayals of Ophelia in Act 1 Scene 3

I was assigned to watch this video and notice how the actor portrays Ophelia and if I agree with her portrayal. Then compare the first acting to another actor portraying Ophelia in the same scene. (Act 1 Scene 3)
First video:  
The second video: 


In the first video, Ophelia is portrayed as a bubbly, loving sister. Well, at least around her brother. She is willing to take her brothers advice, but by her smile while Laertes tells her the dangers of loving Hamlet, we know that she will definitely go with her gut. This actor also plays Ophelia as a playful soul, especially when she pulls out some of Laertes' stuff. I think that this actor portrayed Ophelia quite well. I imagine Ophelia as a smart girl who will has her own opinions and will stick by them. When Polonius warns Ophelia to stay away from Hamlet, she says, "I will obey my lord" sarcastically, but submissively. However, we all know that she just wanted her dad to go away and know that she obviously has her own plans of continuing to see Hamlet.

The second video portrays Ophelia as a less prominent character, however, if she is in a Shakespeare play, she is definitely important. I am confident to make the statement that Shakespeare has a reason for every little thing in his plays.  That is what makes reading Shakespeare so much fun, even better than going to Disneyland! *sarcasm*  I feel like in the second portrayal she is able to get bossed around by her brother quite easily, but slyly knows her own boundaries and can retort if she wants to. I see this especially in 0:48 seconds of the scene where she smirks a little bit only to herself. 

The two scenes have portrayed Ophelia differently. In the first scene she is shown to have more power and control over her opinions, while in the second she can be influenced easily.  I think the first portrayal captures Shakespeare's vision of Ophelia, more, since she is shown to be more of a sisterly figure by being playful, happy, and caring. However, no one can be too sure of what exactly Shakespeare wanted in his plays. Again the excitement!
My challenge to you, reader, is to portray Ophelia in your own way, possibly different than the two scenes above or maybe the same....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael!
    I really liked your introduction to the two videos so we know what you're talking about. Your descriptions of Ophelia really makes me understand her as a character. In addition, It is great that you used quotes from the video to elaborate more on your stance of the subject. The quotes allow me to really connect with the book and your commentary on it. Also, the way you make your posts interactive is really exciting! When you say the time where you saw the little smirk, it makes me want to find it and check it out. Also, when you give us a challenge to portray Ophelia in my own way, it makes me want to talk with you face to face and explain to you my own portrayal of her. Your writing is amazing and very descriptive. I applaud you on such a wonderful analysis of Ophelia and her actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachael. I though you did a great job introducing the two videos at the beginning of the post. That was a smart idea and a great way of letting me know what you will be talking about. I agree with you with your opinions on how Ophelia is portrayed in both the first and second videos. I found it really helpful that you used quotations from not only the book, but from the videos as well. The quotations from the video made it extremely easy to connect and understand your points. You have a great voice that comes out through your writing, making your writing interesting and exciting to read. I really enjoyed how you challenged me or any other reader for that matter, to take things into my own hands and create my own opinion on Ophelia’s portrayal in these videos. Overall, this is a great post. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete